Monday, January 17, 2011

Trust

To me picking a pediatrician is like selecting a spouse.  You interview various candidates (dating), you check out their office (seeing his apartment for the first time), meet their staff (like meeting the family).  When you select a pediatrician it's an 18 year commitment.  In the US sadly, the relationship with our doctors has a higher probability of lasting longer than a marriage. 

So, when I selected a pediatrician for my boys it was with the mindset that this would be our doctor for the next 18+ years.  I made sure he was a single practitioner, we had similar vaccination schedules, he was someone that enjoyed working with children, knowledgeable, with a good sense of humor and mostly I trusted him with my sons lives. 

I found this doctor and I love him.  He listens to me, hears my concerns and talks me through my worries.  So, on Cole's 2nd well check we had a long discussion about Cole and his lack of words.  See, Cole only has a few words; mama, dada, more, owww, ohhhh, wow, ouch and yes.  All my friends with children Cole's age are speaking 3-5 word sentences.  Dr. A had me bring in a video of Cole working puzzles, mimicking me with letter and sounds and playing.  He watched all my videos, closed my laptop and said..."he's fine"  My reply was but he doesn't talk.  Dr. A assured me that what he saw on the video indicated that yes, he's a late talker and only a late talker.  So, I will continue to work with Cole an hour+ a day working on sounds, words and hopefully he'll start talking soon.  That's why I did my homework before to find someone I trust and I trust his opinion

I trust Dr. A and for now I won't worry.  When family or friends ask if I'm worried I'll smile and say," Nope.  He right on HIS schedule!"

3 comments:

  1. Before long, yo will be wishing he would stop talking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very true... Jack was a late talker too. But now he is at the 'What's that?" stage, and oh how I miss the quiet!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that kid is way too active to talk. it makes sense. he'll probably be an olympian long distance runner

    ReplyDelete