Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why I didn't run 16 miles today...

Some may know this and some may not but I'm currently training for a marathon. I try to do the majority of my runs on trails, horse trails or streets that aren't so busy. Now that I'm getting up there in milage running on a major street is my only option.

Yesterday while running I found a good rhythm, the weather was perfect for 16 miles and I had the water to do it. My breathing was in sync with my music and pace and I felt good. I was 3.5 miles into my run when I heard a scrapping noise. Think of nails on a chalkboard x 1000. I look up and there is a trailer carrying 2 wave runner skidding towards me. I run a little faster turn around once I'm past the trailer and see the trailer jump the curve and hit a cement light pole. As I'm taking all this in and the driver is stopping I notice the pole swaying then CRASH! It came falling down in the middle of the street. There was a guy driving a Toyota tundra straight for the pole (while it was was falling) and I can remember screaming, "oh, God please stop!". He did with no more than a fist between his front bumper and the pole. It was a close call for both of us.

I went on to try to finish my run but my mind was else where. The what if's came flooding and I wanted to go home and hold my babies. I turned around after 4+ miles and ran as fast as I could to get home. I held both my boys, kissed them and realized these are the moments that make us realize how precious life is.

Tuesday I will aim for 16 miles!

1 comment:

  1. yikes! I am glad you are a Mom that misses their kids after seeing something like that. I miss mine after leaving for only a couple of hours!

    ReplyDelete